Monday, July 15, 2013

Talofa!!

We made it!! After around 20 hours of airports and airplanes we arrived to Pago Pago, American Samoa on Friday night. Last year's field director, our head teacher, and a couple friends of the program met us at the airport with a yellow school bus in tow. We threw around 30 bags of luggage into the bus and headed to our orientation site (a high school), where we are getting orientated with the island as well as where we are living. In our group there are 3 guys and 7 gals (including Saul and me). We will be sleeping on foam mattresses in classrooms for the duration of orientation. It's not as bad as it sounds but I really can't wait to move in to our house! 

Anyways, we arrived in complete darkness and had no idea where we were staying.  Naturally I tried to imagine what it might look like around the school we're staying in. I thought for sure we were staying in a sketchy area that was a ways inland. When I woke up at at sunrise the next morning I was shown otherwise.


My handsome husband <3 nbsp="" p="">

So pretty even though it was overcast.


Yesterday (Saturday) we hopped in a traditional bus and headed out on an island-wide tour. These super-colorful buses are owned by families and blast American pop music. The island is just GORGEOUS. It's super lush and almost all of the population lives on the coast. It definitely blew my expectations out of the water.


The group.


Random stuffff:

- G's make the "ng" sound in Samoan. i.e Pago Pago really sounds more like Pah-ng-oh Pah-ng-oh

- Pizza Hut/KFC recently lost its lease. So much for my pizza fix!! :(

- However, there's a Carl's Jr/Green Burrito here so I will be able to satisfy my Mexican cravings. WINNING.

- I'm pretty sad that my husband will be working across the island from me. Boooo. There's really no reason for it. :-/

- I know I've already said it but American Samoa is just stunning. 

- Canned corned beef here is something spectacular.

Until next time...

-C




No comments:

Post a Comment